November 22, 2010

Lets make it work!

Oh goodness...where do I start!?!?!? Well, I started work on 11/8 and there have been challenges that came along with this. First challenge is that we decided not to start Gaines in daycare until December so we had to figure out how I could get in an 8 hour work day and manage Gaines. The solution...my mom! So, over the past two weeks my mom has been in Austin helping us out. Of course, I still wasn't able to get as much done as I would like with a full house but we couldn't have done it without my her! With Thanksgiving upon us, I couldn't ask my mom to come in this week too so I'm trying to get in the 8 hour work day and manage Gainesy on my own. YIKES! I have to say...so far so good (Of course, it's only Monday at 11:00 a.m.). I've pulled out all the accouterments...even those I don't like so much...like the swing! I have to say, it's working like a champ. I've actually been able to work from 8:00ish and I'm still going. So, here's what today looks like from my perspective...

Gainesy has been sleeping away in the swing for hours. Something just doesn't feel right about this but you do what you gotta do in these challenging situations. In this case, that meant busting out the swing from the back-house, getting it cleaned up, putting in new batteries and putting it to work. Let me tell you...it works! But, I still feel guilty that I'm basically hypnotising my baby to sleep.

How long should I let him stay asleep in this exactly?????

On a side note, funny story about this BLUE swing. When Lola was about 6 weeks old, I had a "pink" break-down. You may ask what in the world is that?!?!!? Basically, I couldn't stand the sight of pink anymore. When it comes to baby girls, EVERYTHING is PINK. Light pink at that! No kidding...pink, pink and more pink. I'm not a big light pink fan in the first place so when my house was becoming saturated with light pink, I had a complete and utter break-down that included tears and all. To help get the situation under control, I sat for two days straight and hand stitched the swing to no longer be pink...I went the opposite way...blue and orange. It really helped calm my nerves! Can you say...PSY-CHO! Yes, it's called obsessive compulsive. It really sucks to be OCD sometimes!

Anyway, back to Gainsey and work. We're making it despite the challenges. I'm actually very happy to be back to work! It's nice to feel needed in ways other than just being a 24/7 human milk machine. The other challenge was trying to figure out our routine. How to make it all work. It was hard enough to squeeze it all in when I was on maternity leave so how in the world will we make it work adding a 8-10 hour work day on top of everything else?!?!?!? I think we're finally getting there and figuring it out. It all came together a lot quicker than I thought it would. I've even figured out a way to squeeze in exercise. THANK GOODNESS!!! My nerves don't function too well without it!

Now, you would think trying to figure out what to do with Gaines and establishing a routine would be the biggest challenge...right?!?!?! Well, not so much! The biggest challenge has been trying to get the office organized so I can have a decent atmosphere to work in. Of course, this challenge would include Clay to a greater extent as the mess in the office is ALL his! He's what we call a pack rat! So, Clay stepped up to the plate and two weekends ago invested in some flat files to help him get organized. He worked for several hours one Sunday and this is where we are...

He rearranged the desks to help "give us more room to move around". Not seeing it at this point as I have a hard time getting to my chair without tripping, breaking an ankle or even killing myself but I'm sure he has a vision as to how it will all work in the end.

I think all this stuff is going in the flat files????? Not sure, haven't heard or been able to envision the long-term plan yet. Is there a long-term plan???? It's questionable at this point. And to think....I was hoping for a short-term plan. Not so much!

Gaines hypnotised with more stuff shoved in another corner due to the organization efforts. Every corner looks this way BTW.

This is my VERY small space. Enough room for my laptop, one piece of paper, stapler, highlighter and diet coke which always has to be in a koozie. I can't drink diet coke or any can or bottle of anything without a koozie. I have to carry koozies in my purse and even bust out with them at restaurants. Very weird tick I have among many. This one, however, drives Clay crazy. I can see why...it is a little much!

Since I have to make great use out of my VERY small space, I have to use the breast pump as a place to put my notepad and calculator. Gotta love being a working mom!


Believe it or not, pictures don't do this mess justice. So, although we've figured out how to work through some challenges, we still have a ways to go to get through this challenge! Clay knows he's working on a tight time-frame before I mention something. If not, I'll likely blow a gasket due to the anxiety of the mess so he'll be getting on this pretty quick I would assume! Poor guy...this is a big challenge to take on!

With everything going semi-smoothly right now, I know our biggest challenge is yet to come. Next week when I drop the baby boy off a daycare for the first time will be just heart wrenching! My stomach already aches just thinking of it. This week, we plan to spend some time in the afternoons with all the teachers. They kept Lola too so I'm very comfortable with all of them but it still will be hard. I know my heart will break. But, it's nothing we can't get through. We did it with Lola and survived and we'll also survive with Gaines.

And, how dare I forget our other little (actually big) challenge...Little Miss Lola. Oh my! After I made the comment on the blog last week about her behaving so well, she's decided to start acting up again. With me returning to work and all the hecticness, I think we've lightened up on our disciplinary actions and she sensed that. This past weekend she was a little pill I have to say. She about drove Clay wacky and it's hard for the kids to get him to that point. I even had to go ahead and bust out with the whole "Lola if you keep acting this way Santa Claus will NOT come to see you! Do you want that???" UMMM...well, this didn't stop her in her tracks or even begin to slow her down...her response "Santa Claus isn't here right now!" and she continued on with her shenanigans. That little toot! Too smart for her own good. So, it looks like I'll have to bust out with the "Elf on the Shelf" tradition sooner than I thought and I'm NOT AFRAID to drag that little guy around everywhere. I'll post him right up on a restaurant table and tell her "Santa Claus is watching!" if that's what I have to do. I guess it's better than my usual which is "Lola, If you don't act right, the police are going to come get you". Oh yea! I say this and it works! Something so wrong about it but once again, you do what you gotta do. This is what I call parenting skills at it's very best. Just to emphasize exactly what you have to deal with when you have a very free-spirited independent child, here it is...

Lola at Tour de Fat watching the show. She wanted to take all of her clothes off. Although this was a very "free-spirited" type of festival and we want her to continue to explore her independence, we had to put a stop to it.

Then the little princess got tired and decided she wanted to get in the stroller (infant seat) for the walk to the car. She's something else! You can't help but love the girl...always entertaining!

No comments: