January 13, 2011

Getting crafty much...

As you know, I'm (we're) so excited about Lola's birthday this year...every year but really this year! Probably b/c Lo is so aware of everything now. Everyday she'll ask..."Is it my birthday yet?"...same as she's done with Halloween and Christmas this year. So, with that, comes out my craftiness (I use this term loosely of course) to help gear up for the big PAR-TEY. It seems like so much attention has been on little Gainesy over the past few months with his recent arrival so this year I want Lola's birthday to be a very special day that's full of whimsy...it will only be about her (and maybe some adult beverages and good food)...Woohoo!

I've been conjuring up ideas for a while. First up...invitations...I wanted something simple and modern but yet still fun and I think I nailed it. Thanks to Paper Culture - http://www.paperculture.com/ - they create invitations that are modern, fun and are 100% recycled paper. Their motto is "Stationary without sacrifices" which I love. Great find! The invitations got here yesterday and they turned out just as I had wanted. LOVE them! Hopefully I'll get in the mail this weekend.

Next up...party decorations....the fun part! The first idea that popped in my head was some sort of fabulous table cloth for our 13 ft long patio table which has led me on a search for groovy fabrics over the past couple weeks. I found about six fabrics I love. So, my mom is coming in town on Monday and we're going to begin making a table cloth for the big day. I imagine something with pieced together fabrics that are bold, bright, fun and festive...with this comes lots of bold prints, stripes and polka-dots! Not sure what or how it will all work out but I hope we can make it as I imagine in my head.

I've also been trying to come up with other fun ideas...maybe paper lanterns or confetti...and what about the cake (thinking it's going to be a Meet Me in St. Louis themed cake...LOVE...more on this later)..also considering table decorations (Lo loves gum balls and suckers...maybe I can incorporate something with this???)...also I want some sort of banner and lots of balloons of course (one of Lo's faves). Anyway, as you know from last week's post, my fave blog is Simple Lovely.... I love it b/c when she posts a blog it comes right into my email and I don't even have to open the website. It just so happens that today's post had a fabulous find and I immediately knew there would be no Happy Birthday banner at this party and this is what I want...what I'll do! So, here it is...the thing that I believe will help pull everything together perfectly...

TA-DA...


LOVE!

You know I mentioned Simple Lovely will either have an idea or take me to a website that does....well, this blog post led me to the Aesthetic Outburst blog (will now be a follower of this one) - http://aestheticoutburst.blogspot.com/ - which gives so many fab, fun, crafty ideas and also great projects that Lo and I can work on together (like this banner...so good to really get her geared up for the big day by getting her involved in all the makings). As I quickly surfed (due to limited time) I found and loved these hats she made for New Years which I think I'll "attempt" to make for the party hats...their simple, chic but still fun...


I know I say this often but I do L-O-V-E these!

So, to go even further on this crazy blogosphere adventure...Simple Lovely led me to Aesthetic Outburst (which gave me more ideas) which then led me to Poppy Talk- http://www.poppytalk.blogspot.com/ - where I found even more fab banners. YEA! So, I hope I'll end up with something like this...

Once again...LOVE! Specifically the one on the left. Oh, did I mention these banners are made out of tape and beading thread...YES....tape...how fabulous is that?!?!?! And simple...right?!?!?!? And, the best part is I think I can do this! There are colored and patterned tapes out there you can purchase but I don't have time to find what I want and order then it not be what I want so I'll have to get even more crafty and make my own colorful tapes...who would have thought?!?!?!

If time doesn't allow for us to make the fab banners...no fear...b/c Poppy Talk led me to Paperklip Design - http://www.etsy.com/shop/paperklipdesign?ref=top_trail- where you can purchase fab banners (like the ones above) and more. Of course, my hope is that time will allow and I think I may even throw in some pom pom banners like this (the one in the center)...


LOVE! So excited...we'll see how it all turns out...just thrilled to get my crafty on...

To top all of this off, I would love to get a bouncy house (another one of Lo's faves) but don't think Papa bear is going to allow...he doesn't like to make a big Whoo-Rah out of birthdays...likes to keep things to a minimal so I'm trying....although I completely get it...oh it's so hard.

Really...gotta love the blogosphere world! I discovered all of this, came up with new ideas and typed this blog in less than 30 minutes. This is great for a girl who worked until 11:00 p.m. last night and has been up working since 4:30 a.m. this morning (job is a bit demanding these days...YIKES!)...I don't want to take time away from the kiddos for work so I fit it in where I can. Make it work! Really...just love that I can take a quick 6:00 a.m. break and come up with so many ideas...just like that!

No comments: