June 16, 2009

Poor Birdie...

Poor Lady Bird (a.k.a Birdie or LB)...she's having some issues. Now, if you haven't had a chance to meet and spend time with Lady Bird (one of our gorgeous girls), I should give you a brief description of her personality. For the most part, she's manic and can't hardly function unless I'm around and can barely function then....she has LOTS of anxiety issues to say the least(kind of like her mom) and tends to be a bit frantic at times. Anyway, last night she didn't seem quite right...even more so than usual. I thought her strange behavior may have been caused by the chaotic night we had which consisted of Lola running around screaming (she has some big teeth coming in so it's caused a good amount of fussiness). So, when Lo FINALLY went to sleep, I decided to take a breath and spend some quality time with Birdie. As I was rubbing her ears, I noticed they were both swollen up huge like a water balloon. I panicked and started doing research and discovered she has a hematoma in both ears. Here's the definition and a visual of what Birdie is and will go through:

"Hematoma is a blood filled space under the skin of a dog's ear flap. Ear hematomas generally develop when blood vessels in the pinna, or flap, burst due to injury, scratching at the ear or vigorous head shaking."

Poor baby girl! So, Lady Bird basically inflicted this on herself by abrasively scratching her ears...she's a little nuts....see what I mean by manic/frantic!?!?!? I feel just horrible about it! Oh and the worst part is there is no home remedy for a hematoma meaning the treatment will consist of one of two things 1) hopefully it can be drained (sounds painful and expensive) or 2) the ears may also need surgery (sounds even more painful and more expensive). Nice (you notice I've used this term frequently lately...Huh)! Why is it always something!?!? Always! Can't we get a break every once in a while. At least can we get an ear break...first Lo now LB. I guess this is life with a baby and dogs.

To make a long story short, I'm in the process of calling the vet in Austin and Midlothian and probably even Baird to test out the pricing. I'm willing to drive the distance so I don't have to spend a small fortune on this.

On a lighter note, attached is a pic of Lo on her "moo chair" as she calls it. She loves to soft of it. I did this as a child too. I also have a cute story. Yesterday, my mom went with me to pick up Lola from school. I had to run errands after so drove a separate car (BTW...it was really nice to run errands without Lo saying "Hi" over and over to EVERYONE and running around pulling things off shelves). My mom put Lo in her car and when they were heading off Lola said "Where's Amy?" My mom responded by saying you mean "Where's Mommy?" and Lo responded by saying "I don't know". Oh man...she is too cute even if she runs around calling me Amy (and knocking things off shelves). Everyone said this Amy thing would be a quick phase but it's now been 6 weeks....not so quick!!!
On a not so light note, I woke up bright eyed and bushy tailed at 3:30 a.m. this morning. I decided not to fight it and was at the computer at 3:45 a.m. working. Now, I'm feeling it and I'm exhausted! I too have been a little fussy tonight. Time to hit the sack now.

No comments: