September 13, 2009

It's time to back-up and recap

Once again, I’m so far behind on the blogs. I don't know how this keeps happening. Time flies! I have to get into a blog writing routine again. I think I feel it coming on. Especially since Lola continues to amaze us by constantly saying or doing something new and different. She makes us uncontrollably laugh out loud on a daily basis!

You know, I’ve always heard the toddler years are amazing and each “milestone” is even more exciting than when they are infants. I remembered reading a line in the great book Naptime is the New Happy Hour by Stephanie Wilder-Taylor. After she quoted the horrors of parenting a toddler she also noted the good news which was:

"Parenting a toddler is also a lot more rewarding. Baby milestones may seem exciting at the time, the first time your baby rolls over you may want to call everyone in your electronic address book , and when your baby takes the first steps you'll be tempted to send out a professional press release.....I agree the year between zero and one is chock full of exciting firsts but if you can believe it, toddler milestones feel a lot more monumental."

I never believed this would be possible as I was one of those moms who sent a mass text message out to everyone the first time Lola sat up on her own. But now I completely understand what she's saying. The author also continues on to say one of my favorite lines in the book:

"There is something about seeing my daughter ride her little Radio Flyer tricycle for the first time that made me want to stuff her back in my womb and refuse to let her ever leave the safety of my body again - but not before filling an entire digital memory card with pictures."

Oh, too funny and so true. Love it!!! I highly recommend this book to anyone who has a toddler as it helps you laugh at some of the things that have a tendency to drive you insane and it also makes you feel like your not so alone in the crazy toddler world after all.

With that, I have to say, Lola never fails to suck me in more and more as we continue to see her personality develop and as she continues to do new things. She is a quirky little thing. Some say I’m quirky so maybe she comes by this honestly. She's also kind of insane in ways. The things that come out of her mouth never cease to amaze me. Like yesterday when she was fake talking on my cell phone she said "Hello. This is Amy Odom at Marsh". Seriously, where does she come up with this stuff. Or, last night Lola wasn't feeling good and as expected she woke up in the middle of the night. We gave her some Tylenol and put her in bed with us for a bit. She took it upon herself to sing at the top of her lungs (basically screaming) for no less 30 minutes...ABCs, Itsy Bitsy Spider, Twinkle Twinkle, etc. This was 3:00 a.m. mind you so it became irritating considering we were trying to catch some ZZZs. We finally took her back to bed and she was quite as could be. Was she just trying to irritate us to no end??? If so, accomplished! She's also so sweet and compassionate. The other morning she crawled in bed with me as I was sleeping and all I heard was "Mommy, I love you" then she gave me the sweetest kiss right on my lips. Oh, it just melts me. On top of her quirkiness, insaneness and sweetness, Lo's independent nature is a bit eerie...especially when you think of the teenage years...eek! When Lola wants something, she's going to go for it even if she has to go at it alone. She's also very daring and seems to have no fear whatsoever. She definitely didn't take after me or Clay here. All of this really makes for some fun times and some great "monumental" moments. I can’t wait to update you on all that is new but for now, it’s time to back-up and recap.

A couple weeks ago we went to Batfest on South Congress bridge. There were bands, food/drinks, shopping and fun for the kids. Lola had a great time and by the end she was walking around that festival as if she owned the streets. Moving in and out of the crowds and waving her arms like you wouldn’t believe. At the festival, she had her first pony ride. As you know, Lo loves “horseys” so it was great for her to finally be able to see and ride a “horsey”. She was a little hesitant at first but it didn’t take long for her to find out that she loved it and didn’t want to get off. Here are some pics from our fun at Batfest.

It was 105 decrees in Austin this day. Wowsers!!! We got Lo a snow cone to help cool her off. She thoroughly enjoyed. By the end, we were all soaked with sweat.

Lo's first pony ride! We actually kind of felt sorry for the ponies but lets not talk about that.

She's getting geared up to own the streets. Before long she was on her own...no need for Mommy's hand anymore. It should be noted I had ran 7 miles this same morning (hence the reason why I'm so swollen in all the pics). By the end of the day, I had easily gotten in 9 miles of exercise if not more. Amazingly, I wasn't the least bit sore the next day!

We decided to take a break from the heat and walked downtown to one of our favorite new restaurants - Franks. Hot dogs galore. It is so good! Lo took a huge gulp of water and gave a big refreshing "Awwwww" for the camera.


She loves the hats! I've developed a recent love for hats also.


Clay and Lo being goofy!


I love good 'ol family time....there is nothing better!

No comments: