March 21, 2009

Secrets of Simplicity

A friend posted this book on her blog. As soon as I saw the title I thought "I've gotta have this book" and I wondered "Is there really a secret to simplicity?".

Clay asked me last night "Are you doing okay?". It was crazy hearing this question come out of his mouth and with so much concern in his voice. It's such a simple question but I didn't know how to answer. I thought about it and my answer wasn't a straight answer but I told him I feel like I can't see myself "clearly" right now. Do any of you know what I mean by this??? I continued to tell him that if just one thing out of all the things going on in our lives right now could "let up" then I feel like I could think more clearly.

Lately, we're so busy....I've been sick but haven't been able to slow down, lack of sleep due to everything on my mind, work is crazy for both me and Clay, unpacking isn't happening as quickly as we'd like, therefore, we're living in a mess, we're still working on Lola's transition, I miss Lola, etc. All of this builds up to a certain point and then I feel like I can't think straight anymore. That's where I am now. I keep trying to take things one week at a time and hope the next week will bring some relief but it hasn't b/c I can't seem to get anything done and in turn can't free my mind.

I know it's not just me (or us) dealing with hurdles. Everyone has too much on their plate and life presents all of us with many challenges. But, I've learned it's how you handle those challenges and the stress of life in general that makes the difference. Unfortunately, once my stress gets to a certain level, I'm not one who handles it real well. I have to say though...I seem to toggle quite a bit before I reach my wits end. So, with that, I thought if there is a book out there that can tell me how to simplify things and possibly tell me how life can be less stressful than why not read it. We'll see if it provides some good insight.

Here is the description of the book:

Bulging in-boxes, out-of-control stress, and even climate change serve as reminders that when it comes to being happy and healthy, less is more. In this interactive journal, organization expert Mary Carlomagno leads readers on a journey toward release and discovery. Guided by the principle that the way you spend your time and money should reflect your true priorities, Secrets of Simplicity shows how to make practical changes to unburden your closets and calendars and make room for what's really important. Readers can record their successes as they de-clutter their homes and in the process their minds.

I'll keep you posted with my review. In the meantime, I'm about to get off the dang computer and start unpacking/organizing. If I can get through a lot of this mess this weekend, then hopefully we can start next week off right and the stress will start going away. I just don't know where to start....

We've enjoyed SXSW (http://www.sxsw.com/) this week. It's really unbelievable. Can't wait to post some pics of this amazing festival.....

"In its 22 years, SXSW has grown from a tiny music festival in the Texas capital into a massive, unavoidable media beast that reflects, discusses and showcases trends in culture and media but also often creates them." -National Post

How fabulous is that. I'm telling you...it's amazing!!!

No comments: