February 7, 2009

Happy Birthday Lola!!!




By the time this blog posts, it will be Lola's Birthday down to the minute. Lola Ruth was born on February 7, 2009 at 1:12 a.m. These photos were shot minutes after she was born. Gosh...looking at these pictures bring a tear to my eye. Happy tears of course. But, I just can't believe it's been a year.

When babies are first born, they don't always look so cute. Heck...they go through a lot to get to this world and they are all scrunched up for 9 months in the belly. I was VERY concerned that Lola would not be cute or would have some sort of disfigurement (not that I would love her any less if that was the case). I know most people don't say this out loud but ALL pregnant women have this fear. On the day she was born, we just thought she was beautiful. It's funny looking back b/c you see how scrunched up and puffy looking she was. No matter what she was still beautiful to us.

Although I was exhausted due to no sleep for over 48 hours, I still remember the exact thought and feeling I had when they showed Lola to me for the first time. It's a feeling that I could never put down on paper b/c it just wouldn't do it justice. It's a feeling I'll never have again. Before I ever saw her, Dr. Farrow's first comments were "She's definitely her father's daughter"and then she said "she's beautiful" which gave me a sense of relief...my child was not disfigured. For those of you who didn't know, Lola was born with highlights. Can you believe that? She literally had little blond tips. Not only that but this child was born with a head full of hair. I'm not kidding. Her hair was thicker when she was born that it is now. No wonder I had such bad indigestion when I was prego....it was seriously severe.

Lola has changed our lives in so many ways. She is my inspiration on a daily basis. I feel that since I've had her, I've become a better person in many ways. My heart is bigger and every time I see her it continues to melt...even 1 year later.

I've been torn this week. I LOVE this age more than any stage so far and Lola is just a blast and an absolute joy to be around but I'm also soooo sad that she's not an infant anymore. I'm not even an infant person really. Where did the time go???? How has she grown up so fast???? Before we know it, she'll be a full blown toddler then a teenager then an adult. I know people often say "time flies" and "they grow up so fast" but it's really true. I'm happy to see this little girl grow up and become a fabulous woman one day.

Happy Birthday Lola!!!!

No comments: