December 22, 2008

The "little man" finally arrived




OMG...I'm so far behind AGAIN. Ok....lots of catching up to do....I still need to give you Phase II & III of Lola's milestones plus I have to update you on the marathon plus our big move to Austin plus Lola's first Christmas holiday but we'll start with the most important "happening" this week...Molly & Ben finally had the baby and Lola now has a cousin!!! Woohoo!!!.

If you read this blog often, you know I LOVE giving full on detail to everything. But, unfortunately, this isn't my place to give "full on" detail. I'm not sure Molly & Ben would appreciate me giving all the details of the birthing process so I'll keep it to the fun stuff which is the end result.

Doss Sheppard Magill (a.k.a. Jerry or Only) was born on Sunday, December 14 at 10:07 a.m. I was actually running the 1/2 marathon when he was born. I was probably on about mile 11 or 12 when he was born and was debating if I should jump off a bridge to make the pain go away but we'll talk about that later. Anyway, Doss was 8 lbs 12 oz and around 21 inches long. Doss pretty much looks just like his father. He is very long and thin. He even has his dad's skinny legs. He's really cute!!! Goodness...you forget how tiny these little guys are when they come out. I look at him and can't believe Lola was this small (actually smaller) at one point. Now she looks like the Jolly Green Giant next to him.

On a very special note, those of you that know us well know Clay & Molly had a brother, Foy, who passed away several years ago. Doss was born on Foy's birthday and he was also the exact same weight as Foy when he was born. Such a special thing for everyone in the Odom family.

I thought we were bad waiting 2 days to name Lola but it took Molly and Ben 4 days to name the baby. When the day came when they absolutely had to decide, there was some coin flipping going on (literally). He actually had the name Hugo Foy Magill for about an hour before they called to change it to Doss Sheppard Magill. What an adorable name to fit an adorable baby! When Doss was in the womb, Molly & Ben couldn't decide on a name (natural...this is a VERY hard thing...right?!?!?) so Steve (gramps) would call the baby "Jerry". Clay and I started calling him "Only"(kind of a long story). Anyway, I told Molly the other day that we're having a very hard time switching gears and calling him Doss. Our natural instinct is to still call him either Jerry or Only....poor little guy.

Molly, Ben and Doss are all doing great! Just trying to get through those first few weeks of getting to know each other and trying to figure out the whole parenting thing. You also forget what it's like having a newborn. Wow...how those memories drift away so quickly. I was trying to dress Doss the other day and I had no clue what to do...so weird! It really is amazing how the motherly and fatherly instincts just kick in and you learn to function without sleep, with massive pains, etc. It's pretty amazing and they sure are worth it all!

I'm taking vacation the next two weeks so my full focus will be on the blog. I'll continue to keep yall updated on baby Doss and everything else going on in our world. Hope to see you tomorrow!!!

No comments: