April 18, 2011

3 years 3.5 months and no trip to the ER...

UNTIL NOW! Yep, we made our first middle of the night trip to the ER this morning at about 2:30 a.m. ARGH!!! Our poor little Gainesy...just can't get through all of this sickness and seems to get everything.

We just ended an antibiotic for his fourth ear infection on Friday. On Saturday, I decided to make a quick trip to Big M (Midlothian) to hang out with my family and let Clay get some work done. Of course, as soon as we get there, Gaines started getting a funny cough and runny nose (once again). I didn't think much of it....especially since we JUST ended the antibiotic. Then it was time to go to sleep. Ahhh sleep! Not so much! I was up all night with the little guy. He was running a fever and I couldn't get it down below 101.5. Still no problem right?!?!?! Nope. We kept truckin'....

Then it was Sunday. I was going on no sleep (once again) and Gaines was still dealing with a runny nose, fever and a cough that seemed to just get worse by the hour. Clay was back home working and I tried to get some sympathy from him by whining about my night of no sleep (once again). His comment to my lack of sleep was "If it makes you feel any better, I'm only going on 3 hours sleep." This was due to work. And, yes, it made me feel better in a way. I was glad I wasn't the only one miserable due to tiredness. Sad huh?!?!? On the flip side, I also knew I wouldn't be off the hook on Sunday night to sleep because 1) Clay also needed sleep and 2) He was already planning to be up all night again to finish up a project for work. Ugh!!! I tried to nap all day but that was merely impossible with two toddlers running around, a gimp mom (due to foot surgery) and a sick baby.

We left Midlothian around 4:30 p.m. to head back home. I could tell Gainesy wasn't feel good but I also knew I had to get back so I could get him to the doctor first thing this morning. We had car trouble on the way back (which I'll explain later...another time...another blog). By the time we got home, Gaines was running 102.8 fever. I still couldn't get it down below 101. We started alternating Motrin and Tylenol and that seemed to work.

As we went to bed, I could tell Gaines had no plans of sleeping. It was 9:00 p.m., the kids were finally asleep and I was EX-HAUSTED but for some reason I couldn't sleep. I think it was my subconscious telling me "Don't bother going to sleep" because it knew as soon as I fell asleep Gaines would wake. Well, it seems my subconscious was right. I finally fell asleep around 11:30 and 15 minutes later, guess who woke up???? We were up and down all night. I finally just put him in bed with us. By 1:15 a.m., he was so hot that the heat protruding off his body actually woke me. I checked his temperature and it was up to 104.5 and his heart was racing. Poor little guy. Clay was in COMPLETE panic mode. So, here I was trying to calm two down...Clay and Gaines. It was time to call the doctor!!!

When the doctor called back, they recommended we go ahead and take him to the ER. We got to the ER around 2:45 a.m. When we got there Gaines was still (even with the high temperature and horrible cough) all smiles. Here he is in the hospital bed. Still smiling away! You wouldn't think he was sick right?!?!?!? Such a good natured precious baby boy!



Once we got his temp down, he was doing great of course. Jumping around and laughing at the ER. Nice! I kind of felt like an idiot sitting there but we didn't want to take the risk due to the high fever. Plus, Cousin Curry has gone through a bout of fever seizures and now that is one of my biggest fears. Can not imagine going through some of the experiences they have gone through with Curry. Anyway, to make a very long story short and a very long night longer, it turns out Gaines has Croup. Goodness gracious!!! One shot of cortisone later and we were heading home. We finally got home around 5:00ish. Needless to say, we didn't manage to get much sleep last night.

So, what in the world is Croup???? Well, it's a viral infection of the upper airway. Supposedly, it's pretty common and the doctor said it's going around right now. It usually starts with a slight fever and runny nose. Then it's following by a "barking" cough, noisy breathing and shortness of breath. The interesting thing is you don't need an antibiotic with Croup. The bad thing is, it usually takes 3-4 days and cortisone medicine to get better. So, here we are...although Gaines seems great today and the fever has actually subsided, he's home getting mommy love and soon to be daddy love so mommy can get some work done. Lets hope the worst of it is behind us!!! And, maybe we can catch some ZZZZs tonight...not likely I know...

No comments: