June 25, 2008

Oh, to be 31 again...

Two weeks ago today I turned 32. Since then it seems that my body has been deteriorating more and more each and every passing day. Now, you may think that I’m over exaggerating (once again) and being a little melodramatic (once again) but I’ve thought about this and that’s not the case this time.

Here’s the deal….3 days after turned 32 I was scheduled to do a 3 mile trial run for the ½ marathon. I work out fairly often, do bikrum yoga and try to keep myself in shape so this shouldn’t be that hard for me….right? Well, it was one of the most miserable things I have ever been through. In my defense, my brother so kindly pointed out to me that I actually haven’t run since 1993 (15 years ago) which was my last soccer game. I do power walk but I quickly found running is a totally different story. So, the next two days after the run I literally could not walk and ached all over like I’ve never ached before….it was terrible!!!

That was incident #1. There are several other incidents that have occurred that prove turning 32 has affected my bod massively. Incident #2 – I was outside of our garage and trying to get into the house. Well, our garage is an obstacle course so I did a very graceful leap over some sort of item….immediately I felt a pull in the groin area. Once again, was sore for two days from leaping over something as small as a book in our garage. The soreness from the run on top of my new groin strain not only caused me to walk with a limp but also kept me out of yoga for a week.

Oh…it gets worse. Incident #3 – I was opening a can of chicken & dumplings ( I know it’s sounds disgusting but it has been one of my fav things since childhood). As I’m using the can opener I felt a pull in my wrist. My hand immediately started aching like you wouldn’t believe and I think I now have carpal tunnel b/c my hand is constantly aching. Huh!!!

And there’s more…Incident #4 – We went to a birthday party for a friend of ours, Camille, who was turning a whopping 23 (oh, to be 23 again). Anyway, her and her friends have gotten into tennis. I thought that was great and sounded like so much fun. So, Camille said lets get together sometime to play tennis and then have a drink afterwards. When we got in the car, I was telling Clay how that sounds like a lot of fun and I would love to do it. He didn’t say “Your old and not in shape” like he should have but posed it much nicer and said “Amy, Camille is really young and is very athletic”. Basically, saying he wasn’t sure that I was much up for a tennis match. I actually agree with him there but it still sounds like fun.

AND, Incident #5 – I’ve been sick with a TERRIBLE cold. Clay told Molly and Ben last night that he feels like he’s been living with a 80 year old with emphysema for the past week or Amy Winehouse….not sure which is worse.

Not done yet….Incident #6 – As you know, we went to the lake with some friends last weekend. There house has decks all around it and you have to walk up a lot of stairs to get to the house. It seemed as soon as I got down to the lake that Lola would need something and I would have to go back up. I was going back and forth fairly often all day Saturday. Well, low and behold I woke up Sunday with my calves hurting so bad that once again I was forced to walk with a limp. I thought…Ok, seriously…this is getting a little ridiculous.

Incident #7 - Woke up this morning with a terrible crick in my neck. Can't move my head to the left without screaming bloody murder.

Finally, Incident #8 - After all my ailments I’ve encountered over the past two weeks, I found out that I’m way behind on my ½ marathon training and we meet with the group again on Saturday. I went in panic mode last night as I need to get in catch up mode asap. So, I woke up this morning at 6:00 to do the 25 minute run that was on our schedule. Well, once again, it was the most miserable thing I’ve ever been through. I think I may either have to get in the walking/jogging group or walking group b/c this dog don’t hunt!!!

Please help me….my body is seriously deteriorating away right in front of my eyes…what do I do????? I guess I at least have a precious baby to show for it. Oh, to be 31 again…

No comments: