August 30, 2011

What I'm reading...

It took me longer than normal to finish my last book which was The Help. I've had so many people tell me how much they loved it and some even say it was their "all time favorite book". But, for me, it was a tough read. Not because it wasn't good...because it was....mainly because it was super depressing. A story that needed to be told no doubt but it was very heartbreaking from my standpoint. And, to be honest, in parts of the South, things haven't changed just a whole lot which makes it even more depressing. Over the weekend, a girlfriend told me since I've finished the book I have to go see the movie but I'm not sure I can put myself through that. I find myself avoiding any movie that can bring a tear to my eye! I know I'm missing out on a lot by taking this approach but I just can't help it.

With this, I had to lighten things up. So I started reading Are You There, Vodka? IT'S ME, CHELSEA by Chelsea Handler.

Let me just tell you...this book is a COMPLETE riot. I mean the title alone...HIL-ARIOUS! I'm not necessarily a huge Chelsea Handler fan but I'm still loving the book and will likely be a huge fan from here on out. To be honest, she reminds me of me just a bit (minus her laugh-out-loud humor)...I think it's her thought process when she gets herself in a "pickle"...I seem to always get myself in some sort of "pickle" (like Chelsea) and when I do I have a similar thought process as Chelsea. Anyway, this book is fabulous and worth reading if you want to have a good laugh.

No comments: