September 8, 2011

What I'm reading now....

So I finished Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea. I have to reiterate my original blog posting on this book....this one is a complete RIOT! Let me put it this way....Don't read this one (specifically the last three chapters) on a plane or any other place where you are close to strangers.

When I boarded the plane to head to Minneapolis on Tuesday, I only had three chapters left. I was super excited to finish up the book and then it happened.... Chelsea made some humorous statement and I started giggling....I continued reading and kept giggling and got to the point where I couldn't stop no matter how hard I tried. At points, I was laughing so hard that I had to put the book down and look away to try to avoid snorting out loud or peeing in my pants (a very Chelsea thing to do I must add). SERIOUSLY...I was dying...on the plane! I could tell the lady next to me was very annoyed and I absolutely don't blame her. Anyway, can't wait to read another one of her books as they are beyond hilarious. I only recommend this one (and likely any of her books) if you are not offended by vulgarness though.

After finishing this laugh-out-loud book, I moved on to something more serious....

Its subject? It's a satirical novel about the suburb town of Mapleton. At the heart of this book a “Rapture-like phenomenon” takes place in which millions of people vanish one day, leaving their friends and families unsure how to respond. But, was it "the Rapture"? It seems to have been a "random harvest," with Muslims, Jews, atheists and homosexuals (not to mention J.Lo, Vladimir Putin, Adam Sandler and the pope) among the disappeared. Plenty of irritated super-devout Christians are still hanging around here on Earth, along with all sorts of bewildered ordinary folks. Sound good??? I'm actually having a hard time putting this book down. Tom Perotta is a great writer. Some of his well-known books are Little Children and Election. I should be done with this one soon and look forward to giving you the full review.

2 comments:

Taylor Nichols said...

I totally feel ya on her book. I think I almost fell off the bed on multiple occasions due to her humor. I LOVE her and want to see her next time she is in town.

Hola Lola said...

I'm so glad you loved it too! Girl...my abs were literally sore the next day after hunching over in my plane seat trying to stop myself from laughing hysterically. I'll go with ya when she comes to A town!